Ok, I admit it – I love chicken parm and I’m always looking to add a new twist to it. And I LOVE portobello mushrooms. So I thought, why not put the two together?!
I decided to add a little red wine vinegar and garlic to the portobellos to give it a little flavor boost. And the result was delicious.
You will need a Panini machine for this recipe. Here are some pics of ours:
Here’s all you’ll need:
– 2 packs organic portobello shroom caps – rinsed and sliced
– One 5 oz container of Belgioso Romano, Asiago, Parmesan cheese
– 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
– 1 tbsp chopped garlic
– 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
– 1 tsp salt and pepper (each)
– 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (more, if you like)
– 1 cup of your favorite italian seasoned bread crumbs
– Cooking oil
– Just Bare chicken breasts (family pack) cut in half to reduce the thickness (result is 8 pieces)
– 1 bottle of your favorite marinara sauce
– 2 organic eggs with Omega 3 (’cause I need the brain help!)
– 1 pack of Julienne sun-dried tomatoes
– 1 sliced loaf of really wide Italian bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4o minutes
Time To Cook
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium. Then saute the mushrooms, garlic, and red wine vinegar in the olive oil for about 8-10 minutes. While the shrooms are cooking, add cooking oil to another frying pan on medium heat.
Pour the bread crumbs into a bowl and add the grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, then mix it all together.
Dip a slice of the chicken breast into the beaten eggs to cover both sides, then into the bread crumbs to cover both sides. From there, place the chicken into the cooking oil for 3 minutes per side.
Now For The Fun Part!
Once the chicken and portobellos are done, put a bunch of sauce on the bottom side of a slice of bread and put it on the Panini machine. Then cover the bottom piece of bread with the cooked chicken breast. Slather that sucker with sauce, then pile on some mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, shaved asiago, romano, and parmesan cheese and lots of sauce.
It looks like this!
Turn the Panini machine on medium heat, lower the top, then cook for 3 minutes. It looks like this and is really, really tasty!
Now for the final verdict from the pickiest eaters on the planet:
There ya go! Let me know how you like it, if you cook it.