I admit it. I have a thing for Portobello mushrooms. Portobellos in pasta? Yep, sign me up. Portobellos in salad? Yes, please. Portobellos on the grill and on a bun? You bet, and I’ll show you how to rock it with my not-so-world-famous, but incredibly delicious, marinated and grilled Portobello mushroom burger.
Stuff You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients:
– 4 large Portobello mushroom caps (I use organic shrooms)
– Julienne-cut, sun-dried tomatoes
– Hamburger buns (I use wheat buns)
– Mayonnaise as a condiment
– Crumbled goat cheese with chopped basil and onion (the basil and onion come mixed in with the goat cheese). Or, if you have time, you can mix fresh-chopped basil with mayonnaise.
For the marinade:
Mix the following ingredients in a bowl and pour it over four large Portobello caps-gills up. Then put it in the fridge for an hour.
– 1/4 cup of aged balsamic vinegar (I prefer aged over the store-bought version, which uses caramel for coloring)
– 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
– A little black pepper
– 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
– 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinade time: 1 hour in the refrigerator
Grill time: 3 minutes per side
Time To Grill
While the shrooms are marinating, fire up the grill and cook whatever else you need to grill. By the time the coals are hot and the other stuff cooks, your shrooms will be done marinating and ready to go.
Once you get the caps on the grill, it only takes three minutes per side.
Time To Eat
That’s it! Super simple.
Add the crumbled goat cheese, mayo, and a few pieces of sun-dried tomatoes to one side of the bun, and the grilled Portobello cap to the other side of the bun. It looks like this:
I scarfed mine down in like, two minutes. It was ridiculously tasty. But don’t take my word for it. I cut up a grilled shroom cap to give to one of the twins, my daughter, Zoe, who is SUPER picky. She loved it!
There you have it. Healthy, fast, and tasty.